Who We Are
The Center for Offshore Safety
Ten years ago, the Center for Offshore Safety (COS) was established and began providing tools, peer learning opportunities, good practices, and support for companies on the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf. Through SEMS, COS helps the industry meet its safety and sustainability objectives, while enabling the industry to remain a foundational part of our nation’s economy.
The work of COS is based on API RP 75, Safety and Environmental Management System for Offshore Operations and Assets. In addition to delivering tools, good practices, and implementation techniques based on API RP 75, COS also collects and publishes safety performance data from its members annually. This important work continues into its second decade and is the basis for COS in supporting the continual improvement in safety and environmental performance systems in offshore operations.
COS coordinates with regulators including the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE). BSEE regulations require offshore operators to implement SEMS for their operations and have their SEMS audited by an independent accredited auditing firm. The regulation incorporates by reference API RP 75, 3rd Ed. and COS guidance documents.
Major areas of COS activity include:
- Safety and SEMS Data Collection, Analysis, and Reporting
- Good Practice Development
- Sharing Industry Knowledge
- SEMS Audit Practice and Certification
- Accreditation of Audit Service Providers
COS continues to serve communities by:
- Enhancing and continuously improving industry's safety and environmental performance
- Gaining and sustaining public confidence and trust in the oil and gas industry
- Increasing public awareness of the industry's safety and environmental performance
- Stimulating cooperation within industry to share best practices and learn from each other
- Providing a platform for collaboration between industry, the government, and other stakeholders
Learn more about what COS and the oil and natural gas industry have done over the last 10 years to make offshore exploration and production the safest it's ever been: Safety First, Safety Always.
Become a COS Member
Members commit to safety, environmental protection, and long-term sustainability with COS